Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Quotes from A.W. Tozer

I'm a tweeter... and today's tweets from Louie Giglio are his top 10 favorite quotes from the great theologian A.W. Tozer. I thought that these were so good that they just had to be shared! If you have never heard of him you should go out and grab a copy of any of his books. My fav is The Pursuit of God.

10. (God) expects of us only what He Himself supplied.
9. We are called to an everlasting preoccupation with God.
8. We please God most, not by frantically trying to make ourselves good, but by throwing ourselves into His arms.
7. Our pursuit of God is successful just because He is forever seeking to manifest Himself to us.
6. Let a man set his heart only on doing the will of God and he is instantly free.
5. God, being who He is, must always be sought for Himself, never as a means toward something else.
4. Refuse to be average. Let your heart soar as high as it will.
3. Prayer is never an acceptable substitute for obedience.
2. God never hurries. There are no deadlines against which He must work.
1. It is not what a man does that determines whether his work is sacred or secular, it is why he does it.

Number 8 is my fav... number 5 and 3 I found to be very convicting. I never thought as prayer being a substitute for obedience. It makes a lot of sense... sometimes I am hesitant in following Him so I say I need to spend more time in prayer about it. I need to learn and pray that His voice will be clear and that I will not hesitate to follow.

2 comments:

Brad said...

Very nice list. You just have to appreciate Tozer's Christ-centered approach to the Gospel.

Amber Dawn said...

These are great Kat...thank you for sharing them. And...The Pursuit of God is my hubby's favorite book too!

I think the quote that really struck my heart strings was prayer is never an acceptable substitute for obedience.