Saturday, March 20, 2010

Winter Jam 2010

I was in the middle of writing this post at work today and had to stop at the point of telling a story. Work was really busy today. Usually I have a lot of spare time. Today there was none. I had just enough time to begin this post. It's been a very busy week, and a busy weekend. The sun shined for most of it and spring is about to be here. I see bits of grass peaking up here and there. The daffodils are blooming! They are my absolute fav flower and always bring a smile to my face. I love how my God cares about the details. He could of just made this earth in black and white however He loves color. He loves to be creative. How amazing it is that the God who sits on high cares about even the smallest flower...sigh...I sure do love flowers:) Tonight it is supposed to rain. Not just rain but there are thunderstorms in the forecast:) I love thunderstorms just as much as I love flowers. The best is when the storms come at night. I very much enjoy falling asleep to the sound of rain outside my window. The bad part about the rain is that it gets my dog wet. He loves water just as much as I love flowers and thunderstorms. I do not like his love for water. When he gets wet...like most dogs...he stinks! Right now as I am typing he is giving me those poor puppy dogs eyes and pacing the room begging me to come play and pet him. He, however just spent the last few hours romping in the rain and is still wet. So for now I am going to keep typing... maybe when I get done he will be dry:)

Well enough about all that. I started writing earlier on my trip to winter jam last night. As usual my first intention was to just write about my experience but as I got writing something else came out. This time it is the topic of worship. I just have to give my own opinion on the subject. You don't have to agree with me... in fact I know quite of few people don't. My view comes from my experiences and encounters with God and yours come from your experiences and encounters with God. Thats ok... we can't agree on everything. If we did then Satan wouldn't be doing his job... right?

Well here I go...

I love my church but their worship doesn't really satisfy my need for worship. I LOVE to worship. I know that worship isn't just singing. I know that worship is something we do at all times. However, I see my relationship with Christ much like that of anyone in my life. Of course He is the most important relationship, the one I treasure most. He is the Lover of my soul and only He can satisfy my deepest longings and desires.

As in any relationship, you relate to each differently. My relationship with my friend Krista is going to be much different then her relationship with my friend Bekah. Krista is the same person, that doesn't change just because Bek and I see her differently. Bek and Kris relate to each other differently then Kris and I do. That doesn't make my relationship with her wrong and Bek's right, or vice versa. It is the same with Christ. The way He speaks and interacts with me might look different then that of His and Bek's relationship. Of course there are things that are the same and those are laid out specifically in Scripture. Bek and I and are both to worship and serve the Lord with all our heart, soul, and mind. However, the way I choose to do that might look different then Bek's way.

One of my favorite ways to worship God is by singing. Not quietly but at the top of my voice, hands raised and heart wide open. The louder the music the better. I love for it to be dark, it takes away any distractions and leaves me feeling alone with the Creator. I love singing in a big group. Passion conference is the ultimate worship experience, that and 86Hours summer camp of course. If I think about my relationship with Him like that of a married couple, after all I am His bride, then Passion is that week long anniversary trip where all I get to think about is Him. No work distractions, no drama, just Him and me for 4 days. I get to soak in as much as He will pour out and that I can handle. It's the best week of the year. I love to love Him, I love to soak in His Word, and I love to allow Him to consume my mind.

A good worship concert is like that once a month much needed date night. Everyday I get to talk to Him and discuss my day and other such things. But every once in awhile it is a good idea to set apart a specific time when it is just He and I for an extended period of time. An intimate time where I can really open up my heart to hear whatever it is that I might have been too busy to hear about amiss the busy week. I wish I did this more regularly. A concert isn't the only way I do this. Sometimes Strider and I go on a prayer walk or I take a long trail ride into the woods to enjoy His peace and admire His handiwork.

Well enough about how I worship and onto last night.... It was a much needed date. I went with one of the guys that comes to Sunday night dinner, he and his daughter and the 4 oldest Pavatt kids. I really loved that they got to come along. They are so dear to my heart and I love to spend any time I can with them. Especially a time to watch them experience God's presence. Newsong was the host of course and in the middle of the show they came out and did their part. The lead guy told a story one that I am going to retell here because I think that it teaches a valuable lesson.

A man was on his way home one weekend, he had stopped over night in a small town and decided to visit their church the next morning. He enjoyed worshipping with the small congregation and the message was very inspiring. The pastor was giving one his on fire for the Lord messages and really spoke to the man. As the offering plate was passed the man decided that he was going to show his support of the message by giving generously. As the plate got closer he realized that he had left all of his money back in his hotel room. When the plate got to him he took it, got up out of his seat and went to the isle. He set the plate down on the ground and stood in it. The pastor looked at him and asked why he was standing in the offering plate. The man told him that all he had to give was himself.

Isn't that all Christ wants? Sure He will take your money, in fact we are commanded to give our money. But when we get right down to it, all He really wants is us. How effective would the church be if everyone in church grasped this and was actually willing to give their life for Him. Something to think about isn't it.

Well...I think it's time to call it quits for the night. I was up way to late last night and up way to early this morning. Church tomorrow... I can't wait to see my Sunday school class. They are such a blessing to me and I love the opportunity that God has given me to teach them. I can't wait to see what tomorrow brings.


No comments: